Superstar Joey Severance talks about debut album
This winter, Amsterdamn based Tornado stormed into Abyss studios with legendary producer Peter Tägtgren (Exodus, Immortal, Overkill) to work on its first album for Listenable Records.
Formerly known as Nemesis Divina, and not to be confused with the Serbian prog-metallers of the same name) the band features former members of Amoral and Fuelblooded, along with vocalist/frontman Superstar Joey Severance, who’s spent much of his time in music as tour manager for some of metal’s greatest bands.
The quintet, which is rounded out by Michiel “Big Maaaan” Rutten (guitar), Ben Varon (guitar), Pekka Johansson (bass), and Juhana “Starvin Marvin” Karlsson, (drums), sounds like the bastard lovechild of the BIG 4 and a Sunset Strip groupie, all blistering attitude and sleaze. Strap on a heavy-duty condom before cranking this baby up.
Severance is the epitome of a rock frontman, full of swagger, charisma, and with a lot to say. So when we wanted to get a breakdown of what was going on behind the songs on Amsterdamn, Hellsinki he was the member of the band that came to mind. Read below to get Joey’s take on each track…
01. A Bold Statement – This song pretty much sums up who Tornado are in a little under 2 minutes. Cool riffing, serious shredding and a catchy vocal. Basically it says we are here motherfucker, lets party!
02. Hate Worldwide – Yes, I stole the title from Slayer…….only because there was a new Tornado song I was working on which I had previously played for Big Maaaan. So one day I read on Blabbermouth that a new Slayer track (“Psychopathy Red”) is available so I wait until BM gets here so we can listen to it together and as soon as the song started playing, BM looked over at me and said “Daddy! That’s your riff!!” and guess what! It was!! Who would believe such a story, right? So in the end we had to ditch the riff but steal the title,but this song just tells about how evil and disgusting we as a human race are. We hate other people for almost no reason at all. How pathetic.
03. 3 of 8 – The story of the most beautiful girl in all the known universe. The planet Earth. One thing man fails to realize is that the earth has been here long before us and she will be here long after us. The more we destroy the world we live in, the worse it is for us because at the end of the day when there is the next mass extinction (which could be brought on by our own hands), we will be gone and she will not and she will heal.
04. Massive Extinction Impact – The day will come when out of the sky will fall a rock no bigger than 6 miles wide and that will wipe out over 90% of all living things here on the earth. Don’t believe me? When’s the last time you seen a T-Rex chillin outside of a museum? However, all is not lost. Our story ends with a crew of 17 multinational scientist and astronauts to continue the entire human race.
05. Eugenics – My support for stem cell research. I long for the day when all men are truly created equal coming out of the womb and this can only be achieved with money and the right to scientific stem cell research. Now while the Nazi’s claim that what they were doing was a form of Eugenics, I deny this. (Ironically enough, I have been called a Nazi for writing this song) Do I want to create the perfect race? Of course not, nothing is perfect and that is good. However, I would like to see the day when a child is born without down syndrome for example…
06. Ignorance Is Thy Name – War, Racism, Greed, Ignorance…….all the things in this world which I hate and all of which could be avoided. Respect, it’s real simple people 😉
07. Noora – A beautiful, yet tragic song inspired by a beautiful, yet tragic girl. I don’t speak about this track except to say that the vocals were done by the magnificent Dorota Malek (click to learn more).
08. Blue – Typical boy/girl love story with bad ending.
09. Priesthood Pedophilia – Let it be known that while pedophilia is not only restricted to priests, I singled them out because they should know better than anyone. An absolute betrayal of trust which should only be punishable by death.
10. Diva – You know, I’ve done a lot of touring with Cannibal Corpse and my man George “The Natureboy” Corpsegrinder always says “this one goes out to all the girls” right before they play “Fucked with a Knife” and the chicks they love that shit and I’m thinking……no, I don’t wanna fuck any chicks with knives. I better write my own song so I too can say “this one goes out to all the girls” and while every country has beautiful girls everywhere, I tried to list my favorite places with the best looking girls……as a side note, while I did not include her by name in the song, Russia has the best looking chicks. And you know, Snoop Dogg says “we don’t love those hoe’s” I’m saying “oh yes we do!!” Daisy Dukes baby! Back it up, back it up!! 😉
11. Tunisia Uprising – History will remember it as the “Arab Spring” but they will forget that it was started by one man, from one tiny North African nation who decided that enough is enough. In the end, several countries ousted their leaders and changes are sweeping a culture. You see, one man CAN make a difference.
12. Rise, Disciples Rise – A song for fans of metal music. We are all in this together. “In union we stand Bobby Blitz once said and I believe it’s true”
13. No Mercy – This is a cover of the L.A. Guns song. Kinda showing off our sleazy side a bit. Everyone has one, we are just not afraid to admit it. Even Tracii Guns digs this!!